- 4.0 linear feet
- Currently serving as the Doylestown branch of the Bucks County (Pa.) Free Library, the Melinda Cox Library was Doylestown's first free library. It opened in 1917 through a bequest of Doylestown resident Charles Cox (1832-1914) who left his entire estate to create a community library named after his mother, Melinda Hines Cox (1803-1890). The library merged with the county library in 1981. The Melinda Cox Library records, 1819-1993 (bulk 1915-1993), consist primarily of various library records, including circulation and registration ledgers, financial records, statistics, correspondence, and clippings, as well as some correspondence and other records of the Friends of the Library (established in 1944). There are also papers, photographs, and research materials relating to the library's buildings, its librarians, and its history as well as genealogy research and papers from the Cox and Hines families.
Held at: Doylestown Historical Society [Contact Us]