- 1 folder
- George W. Merchant, a druggist, began manufacturing his Gargling Oil in Lockport, NY, in 1833. Merchant's Gargling Oil was not meant to be gargled, as the name suggests, but used as a liniment. Like many 19th-century patent medicines, it was advertised to effectively treat numerous ailments, including rheumatism, burns and scalds, flesh wounds, toothaches, cracked heels, hemorrhoids, and sprains and bruises.
Around 1855, Merchant sold the business to M. H. Tucker, who continued manufacturing the Gargling Oil. The M. H. Tucker Company continued manufacturing Merchant's Gargling Oil until 1928, when the factory burned down.
The Records of the M. H. Tucker and Company consist of seven items, all pertaining to the company's Merchant's Gargling Oil. The collection includes several bills of sale, dating from from 1856 to 1857; undated testimonials; and an almanac for the year 1870.
Held at: Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]