- .2 linear feet (1 half document box)
- Presbyterian Hospital was founded in 1871 by the Alliance of Philadelphia Presbyteries as a 45-bed facility on 2.5 acres. The incorporators declared the purpose was "to provide medical and surgical aid and nursing for the sick and disabled..." Care and nursing was granted to the indigent of Philadelphia, funded by donations from individuals and Presbyterian churches, to fulfill its Christian mission. This commitment was renewed in 1952, when the trustees of the Hospital voted against moving to the more affluent suburbs, choosing to remain in West Philadelphia. The original name was "Presbyterian Hospital of Philadelphia." It has since grown into a 300-bed institution on 16.5 acres with various nationally recognized medical institutes, specialty centers and research programs.
The Hospital remained independent but formally affiliated with Penn in 1965, changing its name to Presbyterian–University of Pennsylvania Medical Center. It was renamed the Presbyterian Medical Center of...(see more)
Held at: Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]