- 23 linear feet (46 boxes ( plus oversized items and photographs))
- The Arthur Hoyt Scott Horticultural Foundation was established at Swarthmore College in 1929 as a memorial to Arthur Hoyt Scott (1874-1927). The intention of the Foundation was to focus on plantings appropriate to Eastern Pennsylvania, creating a practical "garden of ideas" for amateur gardeners while at the same time improving the campus. The name changed to Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College in 1986. The collection contains records of the Scott Arboretum from the proposal for its formation to the present. Of special interest is the correspondence concerning the controversy concerning the planning of Interstate 476, "The Blue Route," as well as John C. Wister's mimeographed Swarthmore Plant Notes, plant records, and landscape plans.
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]