- 20.0 linear feet
- Midvale Steel was originally established in the Nicetown neighborhood of North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1867 by William Butcher under the name Butcher Steel Works. Renamed Midvale Steel Works in 1873, it was one of the main steel suppliers to the United States military from 1875 through World War II and was also where Frederick Taylor developed his theory of scientific management. The Nicetown plant closed in 1976. Midvale Steel Company records, 1873-1978 (bulk 1920-1978), consist of photographs, glass plate negatives, scrapbooks, and printed matter from or relating to Midvale Steel. There is a small amount of manuscript materials, including a company activity log book, 1876-1889, and a notebook from Charles Brinley, 1873.
Held at: The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]