- 5.4 linear ft. (5.4 linear ft.)
- The Church Peace Mission began as an outgrowth of a conference on the "Church and War," held in Detroit in May 1950, with its purpose being to disseminate the findings of the conference to as many churches and seminaries as possible in the next six months. Its objective was to challenge the various peace groups "to face anew their responsibility to Christ, to his Church, and to mankind," by appealing to Christians not to make or use weapons of war and to "devote their energies to the removal of the social, economic and moral causes of . . . war." Established religious peace groups, such as the Fellowship of Reconciliation was instrumental in the creation and continuation of the CPM. Affiliated groups included the American Friends Service Committee, the Brethren Service Committee, the Baptist Pacifist Fellowship, the Episcopal Peace Fellowship, the Fellowship of Reconciliation, and the Friends General Conference. The CPM disbanded in 1967.
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]