Land indenture between David Wilkin, his wife Ann, and Jonathan Germain, in White Clay Creek Hundred, Newcastle County, Delaware
Held at: University of Delaware Library Special Collections [Contact Us]181 South College Avenue, Newark, DE 19717-5267
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Delaware Library Special Collections. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
This land indenture, or deed, from David Wilkins and his wife Anne is granted to Jonathan Germain, all eighteenth-century residents of Newark, White Clay Creek Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware. Jonathan Germain was a blacksmith, though David Wilkin’s occupation remains unknown.
This indenture also traces the ownership of this parcel of land back through the owners back to the original grant held by John Guest, a wealthy jurist from Philadelphia, in 1702. Guest held many positions of power in Pennsylvania, including being a member of the Pennsylvania Provincial Council.
"Guest, John." InAppleton's Cyclopædia of American Biography, edited by James Grant Wilson and John Fiske, vol. 3: 11. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1887.Additional historical information derived from the document.
This document is the indenture for a tract of land, 223 acres in Newark, White Clay Creek Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware. It is dated May 17, 1763. The property was sold by David Wilkins and his wife, Ann, to Jonathan Germain, a blacksmith. They were all residents of Newark, a small town which received a charter from King George III in 1758.
The deed, which is a three-page paper document tied with ribbon and notarized with three wax and paper seals, also lists the entire lineage of ownership and history of division of the property, starting with the original grant to John Guest from the province of Pennsylvania in September of 1702. Other property holders include Samuel Lowman, Samuel Johnson, Napthtaly Johnson, Dan Johnson, Edward Miles, and William McCrea. It also lists an independent woman as owner, Rachel Jones, who later carried the property into marriage with David Davis, when she took his surname. It actually refers to the locations of these original deeds of sale as found in the Rolls Office of New Castle County. The document also gives detailed directions regarding the boundaries, both past and present of the lot. This indenture was acknowledged in the Court of Common Pleas and recorded by R.W. Williams in the Rolls Office at New Castle.
- Shelved in SPEC MSS 0098 oversize (20 inch)
Processed and encoded by Keith Minsinger, September 2008. Further encoded by George Apodaca, July 2015.
- Wilkin, David
- Davis, David
- Evans, John
- Germain, Jonathan
- Guest, John, -1707
- Johnson, Dan
- Johnson, Napthtaly
- Johnson, Samuel
- Jones Davis, Rachel
- Lowman, Samuel
- McCrea, William
- Miles, Edward, active 1748-1759
- William, R. W.
- Wilkin, Ann
- University of Delaware Library Special Collections
- Finding Aid Author
- University of Delaware Library, Special Collections
- Finding Aid Date
- 2008 September 24
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required from the copyright holder. Please contact Special Collections, University of Delaware Library, http://library.udel.edu/spec/askspec/