Held at: University of Delaware Library Special Collections [Contact Us]181 South College Avenue, Newark, DE 19717-5267
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Delaware Library Special Collections. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Edith A. Lowther (1874-1948), the daughter of David and Anna Lowther, spent most of her life in New Castle County, Delaware. It appears that she attended Centre Grove School in Centreville, Delaware. During the 1920s and 1930s she worked as a bookkeeper for several local businesses. She never married, and in later life resided at the New Castle home of her sister, Emma Lowther Brown. Lowther is buried at Lower Brandywine Presbyterian Church in New Castle, Delaware.
1880 Federal Census (accessed via Ancestry.com on October 6, 2016)1910 Federal Census (accessed via Ancestry.com on October 6, 2016)1920 Federal Census (accessed via Ancestry.com on October 6, 2016)1930 Federal Census (accessed via Ancestry.com on October 6, 2016)1940 Federal Census (accessed via Ancestry.com on October 6, 2016)Lower Brandywine Presbyterian Church, “History” (accessed October 6, 2016) http://lowerbrandywine.org/about-us/history/Warren Wilson College website, “Warren Wilson College History” (accessed October 6, 2016) https://www.warren-wilson.edu/about/history Additional information derived from the collection.
This notebook from Edith A. Lowther (1874-1948) contains her meeting notes for the Presbyterian Women’s Home and Foreign Missionary Societies circa 1895. Although Lowther lived in Henry Clay, Delaware, most of her notes relate to a meeting held at Manokin Presbyterian Church in Princess Anne, Maryland.
Lowther attended meetings or made reference to a number of Presbyterian churches on the Delmarva Peninsula including those in Snow Hill, Ocean City, and Princess Anne in Maryland, and Rehoboth, Hanover, and Green Hill in Delaware. Lowther frequently recorded the names of officers at these meetings but does not appear to have been an official secretary.
In addition to matters of business such as collections, elections, prayers, and hymn singing, Lowther reported on the missionary activities of the societies, both foreign and domestic. Her meeting collected funds for domestic recipients in Juneau, Alaska, the Asheville Farm School (later Warren Wilson College) in North Carolina, and the Harlan Courthouse in Kentucky. The Presbyterian societies may have supported a mission to the Ute Indians, about whom Lowther wrote, “The Utes live in South Colorado they are about 1100 in number & they are the most degraded and ignorant of the Indian tribes.” Lowther also described Presbyterian missionary trips to China, Korea, and Japan.
Lowther devoted a large portion of her notebook to the Annual Meeting of the Women’s Home and Foreign Missionary Societies, held at Manokin Presbyterian Church in Princess Anne, Maryland, on November 6 and 7, 1895, where it appears she was a delegate. She recorded the instructions given to the delegates, which not only included taking notes and gathering ideas, but also going “home charged with information and ready to give off the electric spark any time you may be touched.”
Laid in the front of the notebook is a handwritten letter from Mrs. S.[?]P. McDowell of Octorara, Pennsylvania, dated Mary 21, 1890, and addressed “Dear Edith.” McDowell described her one-year-old son, Lowther’s studies, and the Lower Brandywine Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, Delaware.
The notebook is top-bound with cloth and has stiff, brown paper covers. The front cover of the notebook reads “Royal Note Book No. 62 Trademark Patented Jan. 23, 1890” and features a crown, feather plumes, and an eagle. There is a purple stationer’s ticket on the front cover that reads “E.S.R. Butler & Son Booksellers and Stationers, 420 Market St. Wilmington, Del.” Laid into the notebook is a letter written in black ink. The notebook contains 30 leaves (60 pages) of lined paper. The last leaf has been partially excised. The text is written in cursive in pencil throughout. While the author wrote only on the rectos in the first part of the notebook, she began to write on both the rectos and versos approximately half way through the volume. The notebook includes 25 blank pages.
Item 0176: Shelved in SPEC MSS 0097
Processed and encoded by Elizabeth Jones-Minsinger, November 2016.
- Presbyterians--United States--History--19th century
- Women--Societies and clubs--Delaware--History--19th century
- University of Delaware Library Special Collections
- Finding Aid Author
- University of Delaware Library, Special Collections
- Finding Aid Date
- 2016 November 10
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required from the copyright holder. Please contact Special Collections, University of Delaware Library, https://library.udel.edu/spec/askspec/