Richard Price correspondence with John Watson
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Richard Price (1794-1865) was Philadelphia merchant and served on Philadelphia City Council. An active member of Philadelphia Monthly Meeting, he was a supporter of Elias Hicks and many Quaker concerns. His friend John Watson (1774-1864) was a land surveyor and businessman and served as an Elder of Buckingham Monthly Meeting in Bucks County. Both closely followed and were involved in the events of the Hicksite-Orthodox Separation in the Society of Friends.
Method of acquisition--Purchase; Date of acquisition--2015.
- Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia (Hicksite)
- Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library
- Quakers -- Social life and customs
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends
- Society of Friends -- United States -- History -- 19th century
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends
- Society of Friends -- Correspondence
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite Separation
- Society of Friends -- Schisms and separations
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Access Restrictions
This collection is available for research use.