Friends Association in Aid of Freedmen records
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Founded in 1864 in the City of Baltimore, the Friends' Association in Aid of Freedmen was established to aid formerly enslaved people in the State of Maryland. Its membership was mostly composed of members of the Society of Friends. The first President was John Needles, and members included Edward Stabler Jr., Cyrus Blackburn, Eli M. Lamb, John C. Turner, and many other prominent Quakers. The group supplied clothing and other essentials, and also worked on legislation. Having accomplished its initial goals, the Association was laid down in 1867, and its assets were transferred to the Shelter for Orphans of Colored Soldiers and friendless Colored Children of Baltimore.
Also available in microfilm: MR-B30.
Source of acquisition--Baltimore Yearly Meeting. Method of acquisition--Deposit.
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Access Restrictions
This collection is available for research use.