Swarthmore Garden Club Records
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Swarthmore Garden Club was founded in September 1958 when a group of ten charter members met at the home of Ann Peters (Mrs. Hugh Peters). Mrs. Peters had served as president of a garden club in Virginia, and she proposed a similar organization for Swarthmore. She became the first president of the Club which began meeting on the second Monday of the month, usually in members' homes.
Previous to the founding of the Garden Club, the Woman's Club of Swarthmore had sponsored an active Garden Committee and held an annual Flower Show in its clubhouse. While refusing to assume responsibility for the Flower Show, members in the early years were especially interested in flower arranging and exhibiting and participation in the Philadelphia Flower Show.
In the mid 1960s, the Club began to hold an herb sale as a fundraiser and became more involved with community projects such as the herb garden at the Caleb Pusey House in Upland, Pa., which members established in 1970, and supporting civic projects such as Philadelphia Green and Ronald McDonald House. Since 1998, the Club supports a annual scholarship award presented to a graduating senior who lives within the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District.
The Swarthmore Garden Club, Swarthmore, Pa., was founded in 1958 with the purpose "to stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening among both amateur and experienced gardeners." The collection contains minutes and reports, 1958-2014 (with gaps), scrapbooks and other miscellaneous papers.
Six scrapbooks and other miscellaneous records deposited in 1997 by Club Historian, Phyllis Heller. Minutes and other records deposited at irregular intervals.
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Date
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
In September 2018, the Club approved a motion to change its Club year to match the tax reporting year. Officers elected in May 2018 served an additional six months to December 2019. The next slate of officers began their term in January 2020. The program planning year was adjusted accordingly, January through December.
The Constitution and By-laws were revised and approved in May 2018 to comply with IRS regulations.
In loose-leaf binder
In loose-leaf binder. Community Council of Garden Clubs founded which sponsored Media Flower Show. Club joined National Council of Garden Clubs
Club resigned from Garden Club Federation of Pennsylvania, Amy Borer's logo adopted by the Club.
Joan DeLapp proposed that the Club re-establish a scholarship for a graduating senior, which was approved. The first award was presented by President Jennie Morris to Joseph McCauley, Jr., on April 29, 1998, at the Strath Haven High School Awards Ceremony. Mary Ann Jeavons reminded the Club that Swarthmore Historical Society was able to provide long-term archival storage for the records of Swarthmore organizations.
B. William Gladwin was awarded the Garden Club Award. The Club contributed to a garden at the Swarthmore-Rutledge School
The Swarthmore Horticultural Society, initiated by Charles Cresson, was founded, with many members of the Garden Club participating.
Additional organizations and projects that the Club supported include the Crum Creek Restoration Project and the Chester School District Toby Farm Project.
Susanna Morikawa reminded members that inactive records should be deposited with the Garden Club Records in the archives of the Swarthmore Historical Society. Before 1997, old scrapbooks were stored in members' homes, passed from member to member. The Garden Club Award presented to Patrick Wolford
Stored in binder, not intergrated into box.
Scattered receipts, treasurer reports
Established 1998. A scholarship to a graduating senior residing in the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District. The award is made on the basis of a short essay which reflects the student's demonstrated involvement in the broad range horticultural and environmental activities.
Clippings, photographs in deteriorating "magnetic" album, may be duplicated in other books
Gift of Ann Gill Price who worked on original project. Only part of project was completed.