Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Swarthmore Phoenix, Swarthmore College's newspaper, began as a monthly publication in 1881, edited by J. E. Verre, Class of 1883. It took its name from the bird that arose from the ashes in Greek mythology since it was founded in the year that College's main building was gutted by fire. The building reopened in 1882.
It remains the official campus newspaper under the name The Phoenix.
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Business manager's recordPhysical Description
Includes Phoenix Handbook, ca. 1921Physical Description
Concerning abolition of women's fraternities. Includes letters from Dorothy Canfield Fisher whose daughter graduated from Swarthmore College and Isabel Briggs Myers, Class of 1919. The majority supported the decision, arguing that at a College as small as Swarthmore, sororities had a negative impact on members and those outside the system.Physical Description