Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Pi Sigma Fraternity was organized in September 1905 and in 1906 joined the Swarthmore Pan-Hellenic Council. The group applied to affiliate with the national sorority Delta Gamma and was granted a charter in April 1912.
It became the Alpha Beta Chapter of Delta Gamma, the fourth women's national fraternity at Swarthmore College after a gap of twenty years. All women's fraternities were abolished by campus vote in 1933.
The collection contains the records, 1906-1912, of Pi Sigma Fraternity of Swarthmore College which in 1912 became the Alpha Beta Chapter of the national sorority Delta Gamma. The minutes of its first year were lost, and the final minutes of Pi Sigma were recorded in May 1912.
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Friends Historical Library believes all of the items in this collection to be in the Public Domain in the United States, and is not aware of any restrictions on their use. However, the user is responsible for making a final determination of copyright status before reproducing. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/.
First recorded minutes note that the minutes of 1905-1906 were lost.
The records end with the acceptance of the group into Delta Gamma Fraternity.