Charles E. (Charles Eugene) Fager Papers
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Charles E.(Charles Eugene) Fager is a Quaker writer, publisher, educator, and activist. Born in 1942, "Chuck" Fager graduated from Colorado State University and attended Harvard Divinity School. After working for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Selma, Alabama, he perfomred Vietnam CO alternative service at Friends World College in 1966. He left FWC the following year, devoting his time to writing and freelance work. In 1969, he joined the Society of Friends, and is presently a member of State College Monthly Meeting. In the mid 1980s Fager started Kimo Press, a small publishing operation and began to edit "A Friendly Letter," an independent Quaker periodical. "A Friendly Letter" was discontinued in early 1993 after 134 issues. In 1994, Chuck Fager joined the staff of Pendle Hill, a Quaker center for study and contemplation near Philadelphia, as coordinator of the Pendle Hill Issues Program. He served as Director of Quaker House in Fayetteville, North Carolina, a peace project founded in 1969 near Fort Bragg, a major US Army base, from 2002 to 2012.
The collection includes the personal papers of Charles E. Fager, as well as the records of Kimo Press and "A Friendly Letter." The author has been deeply involved in late twentieth century Quaker and social issues, and the collection reflects his interest in Quaker organizations and concerns.
The collection is divided into ten series:
- A Friendly Letter (Drafts of Issues, Letters to the Editor and Misc. Correspondence, Subscriptions and Financial)
- Topical Folders
- Kimo Press/Quaker catalogs
- Fleecing the Faithful
- The Friends United Meeting/"Realignment" controversy, 1990-1993
- AFSC: Quaker concerns and critiques, 1961-1993
- Friends Bible Conference, 1989
- CPS Oral history project
- Other Quaker organizations
- Miscellaneous correspondence and personal files
- "A NEW WAY TO BECOME A FATHER" Harper's Weekly. New York, NY. 1/5 and 1/12, 1976. pp.14-15.
- "A Visit to the Patricia C. Hearst Museum" win. Brooklyn, NY. April 7, 1977. pp. 12-14.
- "Alternative politicians at a crossroads" The Straight Creek Journal. Denver, CO. July 14, 1977. p. 1.
- "Cross-Country walk for peace, disarmament begins in California" The National Catholic Reporter. Kansas City, MO. January 30, 1976. p.2.
- "Feminist Insights" Harvard Divinity Bulletin. Cambridge, MA. Volume 21, Number 4, 1992. p. 20.
- "Hatch vs. Helms: Right to Life Goes Down to the Count" 1981. Washington, D.C.December 24-January 14, 1981. p. 8.
- "Hillspeak" 1981. Washington, D.C. April 17-April 30, 1981. p. 5.
- "Making Book on 1988" City Paper. Washington, D.C. October 30, 1987. pp.30-32.
- "McCloskey vs. Harris: The battle of the anitwar vets" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA.September 24-October 1, 1976. pp. 9-12, 26.
- "On the Case" City Paper. Washington, D.C. Volume 2, Number 12. p. 4.
- "OPENING UP THE ESTABLISHMENT" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA. August 13-August 20, 1976. pp. 8-10.
- "Patty on the Stand" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA. February 13-February 20, 1976. pp. 4-5.
- "Pro-family politics: right debates left" In These Times. Chicago, IL. August 11-24, 1982.p. 2.
- "Quaking over gay rights" The Straight Creek Journal. Denver, CO. July 14, 1977. pp. 2-3, 5.
- "ralph borsodi: the flawed prophet of decentralism" Green Revolution. York, PA. December, 1977. p.19-20.
- "Reagan, Romanism, and Rebellion" The Other Side. Philadelphia, PA. January, 1983. pp. 22-23.
- "Reclaiming a Resource: The Record of the Friends Bible Conference Interview With Chuck Fager" Evangelical Friend. Newberg, OR. March/April 1992.p. 13-15.
- "REPORT FROM THE HARRIS TRIAL" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA.July 16- July 23, 1976. p. 8.
- "Saving the Sea Treaty: Top Peace Prority?" The Christian Century. Chicago, IL. April 15, 1981. pp. 405-406.
- " `Sixtomania' strikes again!" The Other Side.Philadelphia, PA. January, 1979. pp. 58-59.
- "Sixto-mania: The Disease of the Decade" The Reader. Chicago, IL. April 28, 1978. p. 11.
- "Spring Books Poll" win. Brooklyn, NY. June 2, 1977. pp. 11-12.
- "The Blasts at Born Again" Sojourners. Washington, D.C. December 1978. p.29.
- "The genesis of Small is Beautiful" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA.September 24-October 1, 1976. March 3-March 11, 1977. pp.4-5.
- "The Humor and Eloquence of Chesterton" The Christian Century. Chicago, IL. May 21, 1980. pp. 583-584.
- "The wild horses are coming (back)" The Boston Globe. Boston, MA.November 21, 1976. p. A1.
- "War More or Less". City Paper. Washington, D.C. Volume 2, Number 3. pp. 1, 6.
- "What did Congress get for Christmas?" The Boston Phoenix. Boston, MA. January 23, 1979. p. 8.
- "What we can do to stop the new boom in prisons" The Other Side. Philadelphia, PA. February, 1979. pp. 32-41.
- "Which Jesus is your Christmas all about?" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA.December 24, 1976-January 7, 1977. pp. 6-7.
- "Who is Dr. Bronner Anyway?" New Age. Brookline Village, MA. September, 1976. pp. 43-47.
- "WIN's Loss" City Paper. Washington, D.C. December 23-29, 1983. p. 1.
Donor: Charles F. Fager, 1993-2002; Accession numbers: 93-029, 030; 94-047; 95-043; 2000-022, 048; Accruals: Deposited on irregular schedule
Papers received in six deposits, partially arranged by donor. Reorganized into a single collection at FHL and duplicate material returned to donor in 2001.
Computer disks stored separately.
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding Aid Date
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
from Jeremy Mott
miscellaneous clippings and correspondence
Controversy over Iowa YM
Search for Executive Secretary
Misc. Papers, Correspondence, Friends For Gay and Lesbian Concerns Gatherings
misc. papers, correspondence
re: gay marriage and Quakerism
witch hunt related
Dirt and Spoon Removed
Re: Lewy and the book Quaker Service at the Crossroads
re: biblical translations
Letters, Memos, Etc
Friends United Meeting Article
to Priscilla Deters from Gary Libby
Drafts and Releases
Articles written by Fager
Manuscript and Notes (Folder 1 of 2)
Manuscript and Notes (Folder 2 of 2)
Feedback and Comments