Alice Hall Paxson Papers on Scattered Seeds
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Alice Hall Paxson (1868-1955) was a Quaker author and editor, of Swarthmore, Pennsylvania She was the daughter of Thomas Heston and Lydia H. (Cox) Hall of Chester County. The family moved to Swarthmore, Pa., about 1889, and Alice graduated from Swarthmore College in 1888. In 1897, she married Charles Paxson. The family had close ties to Swarthmore College, including many graduates. Lydia (Cox) Hall was founding editor and editor for forty years of the periodical Scattered Seeds, a position in which her daughters. Abby Hall Paxson and Abby Hall Roberts, succeed her. About 1928, Alice Hall Paxson became chief editor.
The collection contains chiefly editorial correspondence and other papers relating to Scattered Seeds, a magazine for Quaker children, from 1930-1936 when it was edited by Paxson. Also, correspondence with American Unitarian Association, publishers of a similar periodical, The Beacon.
The collection is divided into three series:
- Financial papers
Donor: Eleanor Paxson Keighton, 1972.
The collection was given by a daughter of Alice Hall Paxson, Eleanor Keighton of Swarthmore, Pa.
The following materials, originally part of the collection, have been removed and recatalogued:
- See FHL periodicals for bound serial, Scattered Seeds, 1869-1935.
- Periodical also available on microfilm, FHL P326-P332.
- See also RG 2, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, Friends Central Bureau, Scattered Seeds Account Books, 1916-1935.
- Periodical Editors -- Pennsylvania
- American periodicals
- Children -- Religious aspects -- Periodicals
- Children's periodicals
- Publishers and publishing -- Pennsylvania
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania
- Quakers -- Periodicals
- Religious newspapers and periodicals -- United States
- Unitarians -- Periodicals
- Unitarians -- United States
- Unitarians -- Societies, etc
- Quaker women -- Pennsylvania
- Society of Friends -- Education
- Religious education of children
- Children's literature -- Moral and ethical aspects
- Children's literature -- Religious aspects
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Friends Historical Library believes all of the items in this collection to be in the Public Domain in the United States, and is not aware of any restrictions on their use. However, the user is responsible for making a final determination of copyright status before reproducing. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/.