Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Charles Palmer (1863-1966) was a Quaker teacher, lawyer, and real estate broker from Chester, Pennsylvania.
The collection includes family correspondence, including that of Palmer as a student at Swarthmore College, diaries of Palmer's father, Lewis Palmer (1837-1917), mother, Hannah H. Palmer (1836-1917), and other family members in Chester and Delaware counties, Pa., account books, business and legal papers, essays, poetry, clippings, memorabilia, and other papers. Includes material relating to Lewis Palmer's book, A Genealogical Record of the Descendants of John and Mary Palmer (1875), and to Quaker affairs, especially work for prohibition.
The collection has been divided into six series:
- Biographical and genealogical
- Business and legal papers
Donor: C. Mervin Palmer,1969-1973
Donor is the son of Charles Palmer.
The following material, originally part of the collection, has been recatalogued:
- Lewis Palmers A Genealogical Record of the Descendants of John and Mary Palmer, published 1875, J.B. Lippincott & Co., Phila. (FHL cat. no. BX7791,.P2P2) (new edition, Press of Chester Times, BX7791,.P2P2, 1910).
- College students -- Pennsylvania
- Prohibition -- Pennsylvania
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania
- Temperance -- Pennsylvania
- Universities and colleges -- Pennsylvania
- Universities and colleges -- Pennsylvania -- Swarthmore
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
Consists of diaries and other small record books, arranged by author.
Lewis Palmer was the father of Charles. Authors include Charles, particularly letters to his father from Swarthmore College; Edwin H. Palmer, brother of Lewis; Mary Palmer Darlington, sister of Lewis; school friends of Lewis - Francis Thomas, Benjamin L. Wood and Enoch T. Wood; and letters ordering copies of Lewis Palmers A Genealogical Record of the Descendants of John and Mary Palmer, published 1875, J.B. Lippincott & Co., Phila.
re: a public road in Aston Twp.