Emma Chandler MacClelland Papers
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Emma Chandler MacClelland was a Quaker who was involved in relief work in France during World War I with the American Friends Service Committee. She was born in West Chester, Pa. in 1895, and married Lee H. MacClelland after her return from France. They had two children, Phebe and John. She was a member of Reading Monthly Meeting at the time of her death in 1965.
The collection contains correspondence of Emma Chandler MacClelland during the period, 1918-1919, in which she did relief work in France. Details her activities in Brittany, Bordeaux, and other locations. Also includes photographs of her trip.
Donor: Phebe Ripka, 1991
The donor, Phebe Ripka, is the daughter of Emma Chandler MacClelland
- International relief -- France
- Quakers -- France
- Society of Friends -- International assistance
- World War, 1914-1918 -- France
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Civilian relief
- Reconstruction (1914–1939) -- France
- International relief -- Germany
- International relief -- Societies, etc
- Social service -- Societies, etc
- Charities -- France
- Social service -- France
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Friends Historical Library believes all of the items in this collection to be in the Public Domain in the United States, and is not aware of any restrictions on their use. However, the user is responsible for making a final determination of copyright status before reproducing. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/.