Main content

Howard Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.)

Notifications

Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Overview and metadata sections

The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956.

The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.

The collection is organized into four series. The series are:

  1. Administrative and other papers
  2. Correspondence
  3. Publications
  4. Pictures

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Gift of the Board of the Howard Institution, ca. 1956

Publisher
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
Finding Aid Author
FHL staff
Finding Aid Date
2001
Sponsor
Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Some of the items in this collection may be protected by copyright. The user is solely responsible for making a final determination of copyright status. If copyright protection applies, permission must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns to reuse, publish, or reproduce relevant items beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to the law. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/.

Collection Inventory

Minutes, 1903-1956.
Box 1
Physical Description

4 vols.

Deeds, mortgages, searches, 1845, 1867, 1879.
Box 1

Friends Neighborhood Guild.
Box 2
Philadelphia Child Guidance Clinic.
Box 2
The Wharton Centre.
Box 2
White-Williams Foundation.
Box 2
William C. Biddle Friends' Center.
Box 2
Letters of resignation from Board members, 1956.
Box 2

Annual Reports, 1857-1927 (gaps).
Box 2
Charter and By-laws.
Box 2
History, 1945.
Box 2
Scope and Contents

A History of the Howard Institution of Philadelphia, by Elma B.M. Holloway, Philadelphia

Pictures.
Box 2

Print, Suggest