Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys (Cheyney, Pa.) Records
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Home for Destitute Children was founded in 1855 by Mary Jeanes in Philadelphia, PA. It was incorporated on April 11, 1856, as a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children and then placed them with private families (at one point as apprentices). First located in West Philadelphia, it accepted both sexes until 1919. The Home moved to Cheyney, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia, in 1922. The name was changed in 1945 to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys.
- Board of Trustees
- Committee on Management
- Financial Records
Date: 1982 and earlier.
Previously cited as Home for Destitute Colored Children. For better access annual reports transferred in 2004 to Friends Historical Library, SG3, Annual Reports.
- African Americans -- Services for -- Pennsylvania
- African Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- African American children -- Education -- Pennsylvania
- African American children -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Apprentices -- Pennsylvania
- Boys -- Education -- Pennsylvania
- Children -- Institutional care -- Pennsylvania
- Education -- Pennsylvania
- Society of Friends -- Charities -- Records and correspondence
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Education
- Quakers -- Societies, etc
- Poor -- Services for
- Nonprofit Organizations -- Pennsylvania
- Quaker women -- Pennsylvania
- Quaker women -- Societies and clubs
- Women in charitable work -- Pennsylvania
- Youth -- Employment -- Pennsylvania
- Schools -- Pennsylvania -- Cheyney
- African Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Cheyney -- Population
- Schools -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- African Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Population
- Charities -- Pennsylvania -- Cheyney
- Social service -- Pennsylvania -- Cheyney
- Charities -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Social service -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- ca. 1982
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Some of the items in this collection may be protected by copyright. The user is solely responsible for making a final determination of copyright status. If copyright protection applies, permission must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns to reuse, publish, or reproduce relevant items beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to the law. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/.