Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Friends Housing, Inc., was formed as an independent non-profit corporation in 1966 in response to a petition signed by 100 residents of the Mantua neighborhood in Philadelphia and the concern of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, Social Concerns Committee. The Corporation was primarily involved in fund-raising for the rehabilitation of vacant and vandalized properties for low income families. David S. Richie, a Quaker who organized the Weekend Workcamp program of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, served as president of the board of directors. The Board included representatives from the community and members of the Mantua Belmont Joint Committee of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting.
This collection contains the records from 1966-1975 of Friends Housing, Inc., a non-profit Quaker organization founded in 1966 to aid in the rehabilitation of low income housing in the Mantua section of Philadelphia, Pa. The records include minutes and reports, correspondence, and related papers.
The collection is organized into three series. The series are:
- Minutes and reports
- Miscellaneous papers
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Gift of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Meeting for Social Concerns), 1985
Gift of Mary Frances James, 1987
Later accrual: accession number 2023.016.
- Friends Housing, Inc. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Meeting for Social Concerns
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Society of Friends -- Charities -- Records and correspondence
- Nonprofit Organizations -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Poor -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Housing -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends
- Low-income housing -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
Includes certificate of organization and bylaws of Friends Housing, Inc., among other papers.