Friends' Book Association of Philadelphia Records
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Friends' Book Association of Philadelphia was incorporated in 1873 by Hicksite Quakers to operate stores for the sale of Quaker books and to subsidize the publication and reprinting of important Quaker books. Its purpose was "to conduct an establishment for the purchase and sale of Books, publications and incidentals, and it shall have authority to print, publish and issue such books and publications as its Stockholders or Board of Managers may direct."
It functioned until 1908 when the merchandise was disposed of. Walter H. Jenkins purchased the imprinted goods from the Association at inventory price.
This collection contains the records of the Friends Book Association of Philadelphia, a Quaker bookstore. It includes Minute Book, 1873-1097; Committee reports; Legal documents; Correspondence; and Financial papers.
The collection is organized into 9 series. The series are:
- Minute Book
- Act of Incorporation and By-Laws
- Committee Reports
- Legal Documents
- List of Books
- Financial Papers
- Annual Report
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Mrs. George M. Taylor and Anne Blake, 1943
- Quakers -- Religious literature
- Societies -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Bookstores -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Booksellers and Bookselling -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Publishers and publishing -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Religious literature -- Publishing -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Religious literature -- Distribution -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Religious literature -- Publishing -- Societies, etc
- Religious literature -- Publication and distribution -- Societies, etc
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Some of the items in this collection may be protected by copyright. The user is solely responsible for making a final determination of copyright status. If copyright protection applies, permission must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns to reuse, publish, or reproduce relevant items beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to the law. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/.