Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting Records
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown. Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents.
In 1896 Bucks Quarterly Meeting appointed a committee to determine the need for a Home for Friends within the Bucks Quarter. In 1897 the Committee rented the property of Dr. Lettie A. Smith in Newtown, Pa., for a Friends Boarding Home. The Home was incorporated in 1899, and a building erected on a lot purchased from Emmor K. Janney, located between Congress Street and Centre Avenue in Newtown, Pa., with funds given by Judge Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. The Home was completed and transferred to the Bucks Quarterly Meeting in 1900.
In 1979, after the donation of the Styer property in 1978, construction was started on what was initially called the Annex; the renamed 44 unit Friends' Village was opened for occupancy in 1981.
This collection contains the records of the Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting and of Friends' Village, both located in Newtown, PA. The collection includes correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.
The collection is organized into 2 series. The series are:
- Miscellaneous Papers
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Donor: Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting
Date: 1975, 2014
- Older People -- Pennsylvania -- Newtown (Bucks County)
- Older People -- Institutional care -- Pennsylvania
- Church work with older people -- Society of Friends
- Church work with older people -- Pennsylvania
- Nonprofit Organizations -- Pennsylvania
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania
- Quakers -- Institutional care -- Pennsylvania
- Society of Friends -- Charities -- Records and correspondence
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania
- Older People -- Care -- Society of Friends
- Old Age Homes -- Pennsylvania -- Newtown
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
Includes the minutes of the Board of Friends' Village.Physical Description
Miscellaneous papers which were laid in the Minute Books were sorted according to form