Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Swarthmore College offered its first elective course in Astronomy in the mid 1870's. In 1885, the Board reported a proposal to erect an observatory near the east end of the College property. After Professor Susan Cunningham retired in 1906, Dr. John A. Miller was appointed as Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy. Until 1952, courses were listed under the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy; a separate Department of Astronomy existed until it became the Department of Physics and Astronomy in the mid 1980's.
This collection, dating from 1905 to 1975, consists of astronomy images taken or collected by Swarthmore College Astronomy Department students and professors. Most of the images are on glassplates, but there are also some paper photographs. Images depict the college, eclipses, constellations, comets, and more.
The collection is organized by format and size. There is some topical order within format but the arrangement is not comprehensive.
See Swarthmore College Astronomy Department records, SFHL-RG6-J01.
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- Jissel Becerra Reyes
- Finding Aid Date
- Access Restrictions
This collection is available for research use.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library. All requests for permission to reproduce images must be submitted to the Curator. Permission for publication is given on behalf Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader."