Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Ethel Austin Shrigley was born in Lansdowne, PA on February 12, 1875 to John M. Shrigley and Clara Austin.
Shrigley studied biology at the University of Pennsylvania from 1891 to 1893. She also studied botany and was active in Philadelphia-area garden clubs. Her book, Historic Trees of Philadelphia, was published in 1899.
Shrigley was also a suffragist and was involved with the Women's Christian Temperance Union, was the chairman of the Delaware County Woman Suffrage Party, and represented the Equal Suffrage League of Lansdowne in a hearing in front of the Knights of Columnus in 1915.
Shrigley died on July 23, 1936.
A typescript written by Shrigley around 1899 regarding trees comprising 14 leaves of typed text and 21 leaves of photographs mounted on paper with typed captions. Included are 22 black-and-white photographic prints measuring approximately 3" x 4". There is one color postcard. Pasted on inside front cover: Presented to the Bartram Memorial Library, June 1916 by the author.
Gift of Bartram Memorial Library, 1916.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Finding Aid Author
- Donna Brandolisio
- Finding Aid Date
- May 2020
- Access Restrictions
This collection is available for research.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.