Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The School of Dentistry at the University of Pennsylvania was organized in 1878. In 1912, it reached an agreement with the trustees of the Thomas W. Evans Museum and Institute Society, to form a cooperative affiliation between the two institutions. The University of Pennsylvania would provide instruction, and the Institute would erect a new building. The new institution was named the Thomas W. Evans Museum and Dental Institute School of Dentistry University of Pennsylvania and in accordance with the will of Evans, would be "the largest and best-equipped plant in the world devoted exclusively to the teaching of dentistry." The site of the former Evans estate, located at 40th and Spruce Streets, was chosen and ground was broken on September 24, 1912. Plans for the new building included a library, located on the second floor. The core library collection contained dental materials transferred from the University's main library, a donation of the 3,000 volumes from the personal library of Dr. Edward C. Kirk, and 300-400 volumes of mainly bound periodicals donated by the Academy of Stomatology. The dental library was independent of the University's library system and received its budget from an appropriation from the Dental School, which had an endowment from the Thomas W. Evans estate. The library became part of the University of Pennsylvania Library system around 1955.
For a more complete history of the dental library and dental school, please consult the following University Archives finding aids:
School of Dental Medicine. Dental School Library Historical Collection, 1798-1988, UPC 4.11, and
School of Dental Medicine. General Records, 1878-1983 bulk 1878-1977, UPC 4.5.
Dedication of the New Building of The Thomas W. Evans Museum and Dental Institute School of Dentistry University of Pennsylvania, 1915.
The collection contains articles, publications, correspondence, clippings, advertisements, price lists, notes, and an audio cassette, and is arranged in three series: I. Thomas W. Evans Museum and Dental Institute School of Dentistry; II. General dentistry; and III. Thomas W. Evans with the folders arranged alphabetically and chronologically there under. The bulk of material is in English with a few items in French and German.
This material comprised part of the dental library's historical collection. The first series contains material on the history of the Thomas W. Evans Museum and Dental Institute School of Dentistry University of Pennsylvania. The second series contains information regarding the profession of dentistry and includes some biographical material on dentists; the manufacturing of dental supplies and equipment; and medical/dental education. The third series contains material regarding dentist Thomas W. Evans (December 23, 1823 – November 14, 1897). Evans, a Philadelphia born dentist, was invited to join the practice of Dr. Cyrus Brewster in Paris. He eventually opened his own practice and developed an elite clientele, including royal households across the continent. He became the dentist of Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie in 1850 and soon a trusted confidant. Evans helped the Empress escape to England during the 1870 uprising. This series includes several publications Evans authored, biographical material, and articles on Emperor Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie.
Transferred from the University of Pennsylvania. School of Dental Medicine Library in 2015.
- Evans, Thomas W. (Thomas Wiltberger), 1823-1897
- Napoléon III, Emperor of the French, 1808-1873.
- Eugénie, Empress, consort of Napoléon III, Emperor of the French, 1826-1920
- Kirk, Edward C. (Edward Cameron), 1856-1933
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Finding Aid Author
- Kristine McGee
- Finding Aid Date
- 2022 June 15
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research use.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.