Pennsylvania Nurses Association, District 1 records
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]Claire Fagin Hall, 418 Curie Boulevard, Floor 2U, Philadelphia, PA, 19104-4217
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Pennsylvania Nurses' Association was founded in 1903 by nurses "feeling the need of organization, legislation and registration in the state of Pennsylvania." The immediate objective was for a registration law to control education and entry into the nursing profession, but the specific orientation of regional groups and specialized nurses soon caused the association to branch out in a variety of directions. By 1919, the state association had become unwieldy, and districts were formed to better respond to the needs of individual nurses and regional interests within the state. On April 30, 1919, the Philadelphia District Number 1, along with several others, was admitted to membership.
The concerns of District 1, from its inception, revolved around the establishment of a central headquarters with an official registry of nurses. Lack of interest, however, prevented effective action until the Nurses' Official Directory was established in 1929 to facilitate employment. Shortly after, both interest and membership rose dramatically. The Philadelphia district developed into one of the most active sections, involved in legislative actions in all areas of health care, professional promotion, publicity and education, as well as in many community activities.
Gift of Janet Smith at the Temple University Urban Archives.
- University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers, updated by Madalyn Northuis
- This collection was processed with funds provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission as part of the Nursing History Processing and Cataloging Project.
- Access Restrictions
This collection is unrestricted.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.
The first series contains the minutes of the board of directors, the typewritten reports of the proceedings of the annual conventions and various reports of officers. Comprising the dominant series in the collection, the minutes and proceedings chronicle the influence and activities of the Philadelphia district on the nursing profession almost from the organization's inception.
The papers of the various committees and sections within District 1 provide information regarding the interests of specialized nursing groups in addition to insight into the administrative functioning of the organization. The series includes correspondence, minutes and some printed material, and the files are arranged alphabetically by section or committee.
This is an alphabetically arranged file representing District 1's civic and professional interest activities, relations with other organizations, legislative goals, and its involvement in health care issues and education. Also included are documents related to the district’s social meetings.
This series consists of incoming and outgoing letters of officers and the office secretary, primarily covering the 1960s. Among the major topics are District 1's administration and relations with other organizations and groups.
This series includes information detailing the functions and development of the Nurses' Official Directory, which served to put registered nurses in contact with employers. Minutes, correspondence, registrants' meeting proceedings and a history of the N.O.D. chronicle the important role that this section played in the growth of District 1.
Contained here are the newsletters, legislative bulletins, clippings, administrative manuals, and other printed material of the PNA. In addition, there are dues ledgers and some financial correspondence.
This series contains photos of individual PNA members and photos of the Mass Polio Immunization Campaign in 1963. Captions and newsletter clippings are attached.