Visiting Nurse Association of Hudson Valley, records
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]Claire Fagin Hall, 418 Curie Boulevard, Floor 2U, Philadelphia, PA, 19104-4217
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The District Nursing Association of Northern Westchester was founded in 1898 after the inspiration of Ellen Wood, a graduate of the John Hopkins Training School for Nurses Class of 1896, and her time serving in the Spanish-American war. After the war, she and the local American Red Cross Relief Committee turned its service to the local population to provide care to the people. The committee became the District Nursing Association on November 15, 1898. It was the first rural nursing association in the United States. The original plan was to provide skilled nursing to patients in their homes as well as to instruct families on proper nursing care. Ms. Wood died in 1900 of typhoid caught during her service, and the District Nursing Association faced an uncertain future. Fortunately, through monies raised for the Ellen Wood Memorial Fund, the Association was able to hire its first district nurse.
In 1906 it created the first school health education programs, and built upon that success with child care, dental health, and maternal health care. The Association was dedicated to helping raise the local standards of living through campaigns for better sanitation, food safety, and eliminating unnecessary swampy areas. The National Red Cross recognized their efforts and asked them to speak national about their efforts. From the 1910 to the 1960s, the Association worked with local and federal Public Health departments, even as the government took on some responsibilities originally with the nurses. In the 1960s-1990s, the Association took on the responsibilities of home aide care, nursing home care, and hospice care. In 1989 the District Nursing Association became the Visiting Nurse Association of Hudson Valley. It remained the VNA until in 2017, when it merged with Northwell Health.
The Visiting Nurse Association of Hudson Valley was founded in November 15, 1898. This collection includes records mainly from the 1900s to 1994, with the exception of annual reports which continues until 1998. The documents are of the VNA's annual reports, board of director meetings, branch reports, committee reports, and finanical records. It also contains information on specific subjects, books written about or by VNA leaders, as well as newspaper clippings about the VNA of Hudson Valley and photographs.
Gift of Michele Quirolo, 2018.
- University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jessica Clark
- Access Restrictions
This collection is unrestricted.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.
-misdated as 1918, should be 1917.