Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]Claire Fagin Hall, 418 Curie Boulevard, Floor 2U, Philadelphia, PA, 19104-4217
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Muhlenberg Hospital opened in 1881 with twenty beds. After two minor expansions and the installation of electric and plumbing systems, the Muhlenberg Hospital Nurses Training School was established in 1894 as a two-year program. In 1896, the first class of two students graduated, and a Nurses Home building was completed. In 1903 the hospital moved to its present location at Park Avenue and Randolph Road in Plainfield, New Jersey. At this time the hospital had a capacity of sixty beds. The Alumnae Association was organized in 1905.
The hospital continued to grow throughout the 20th century. In 1986, Muhlenberg Hospital changed its name to Muhlenberg Regional Medical Center. In 1998, the hospital merged with John F. Kennedy Medical Center as part of Solaris Health System, but ten years later, the Muhlenberg location’s acute care facility was closed. Muhlenberg Regional Medical Center currently offers a satellite emergency department and a small number of outpatient services as Solaris Healthcare System’s JFK Medical Center – Muhlenberg Campus. The School of Nursing was transferred to JFK Medical Center in Edison, N.J., and continues to educate nurses through a cooperative nursing program with UNION County College in Cranford, N.J.
This collection consists of documents and photographs relating to the Muhlenberg Hospital School of Nursing. It is primarily comprised of photographs of nurses from about 1912-1915. These photographs, some of which were removed from a scrapbook, show nurses participating in various activities, such as a "Nurses vs. Doctors" baseball game. The photographs are accompanied by an assortment of memorabilia. These items include a certificate and a pin previously belonging to Adele Krooks Kirkgard, class of 1922. Also included is a copy of a 1961 memorial book entitled "Muhlenberg Nurses Through the Years, 1896-1961," which features historical information on the school.
- University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Bethany Myers
- Access Restrictions
This collection is unrestricted.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.
This series contains items issued by the Muhlenberg Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association. Materials include a certificate (with related correspondence), a pin, and a book of Muhlenberg nursing history.
This series contains photographs, postcards, and scrapbook pages depicting Muhlenberg nurses. Photographs include interior and exterior locations at Muhlenberg Hospital and around Plainfield, N.J.