Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]Claire Fagin Hall, 418 Curie Boulevard, Floor 2U, Philadelphia, PA, 19104-4217
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Methodist Episcopal Hospital School of Nursing, Philadelphia, was started by nurse Linda Richards at the time the Methodist Episcopal Hospital, Philadelphia, opened for patients in 1892. Originally the hospital was located on a full city square in South Philadelphia at Broad, Wolf, Ritner, and 13th Streets. The Hospital became affiliated with Jefferson Medical College in the 1950s, and in 1961 its name was changed to Methodist Hospital. In 1996, the Methodist Hospital became part of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Its present address is 2301 S. Broad Street.
According to the donor, these volumes are among the few remaining records of the Methodist Episcopal Hospital and its nursing school. Most of the records were severely damaged in a flood at the Methodist Hospital sometime after it became part of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, circa 2000-2001. Other surviving records were donated to Drew University and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
This collection consists of three volumes: Two volumes of student records, 1900-1915, and one volume of "Financial Contributions to U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund," 1943-1948.
Gift of Jean Kunkle Magilton, 2012.
- University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers
- Access Restrictions
This collection is unrestricted.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.
Student records. Includes names of applicant, date entered, acceptance status, date accepted, date finished, records of work on wards or service, number of days in each service, and remarks.
Grade book. Volume includes the following information: name of student, monthly average marks in each subject, name of examiner, scores on lectures and classes, and ward experience for years 1-3 of the program.
Beginning in 1909, record also includes additional personal information on each student including age (in years), height, weight, level of education completed at time of admission, comments on the student’s performance, and notes on any illnesses during the student’s period of enrollment at the school.
This file contains several letters relating to former students Methodist Episcopal Hospital School of Nursing. Also included is a maternity ward card for the Hospital.
1 folder of loose pages
Ledger showing amounts contributed to support the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund. Contributions are broken down to show the type of expense covered including Maintenance, Stipend, Tuition, Textbooks, Indoor Uniforms; Outdoor Uniforms; and Miscellaneous (Fees, etc.). Figures show amounts “allowed by USPHS” [U.S. Public Health Service].
It is not clear from entries who is doing the collecting. Record for Dec. 1945-May 1946, for example, lists names of contributors: these include names of physicians, the Methodist Hospital, the payroll department, and possibly outside companies such as General Biological Supply.
Sums are substantial. For instance, figures for May-July 1946, for “USPHS Quoted on 35 Cadets,” show that the account was debited $35,169.