Main content

Lock Haven Hospital records


Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]Claire Fagin Hall, 418 Curie Boulevard, Floor 2U, Philadelphia, PA, 19104-4217

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Overview and metadata sections

The Lock Haven Hospital first opened in a farm house on September 7, 1897 with Dr. Rita B. Church as first Superintendent. A training school for nurses was established that same year when one pupil matriculated for a two year course of study.

The struggle to create a reputable institution was eventually recognized by the community. Mr. Wilson Kistler gave a piece of land for a new building and on May 30, 1903, the hospital in full-fledged form was ready for patients. Cornelia Happersett, superintendent from 1905 to 1908, saw to it that the patients' physical requirements were skillfully met.

On July 28, 1908 the hospital burned to the ground. The determination of the nurses to save the patients from the fire at all costs resulted in the complete loss of their wardrobes and possessions. The hospital was rebuilt and, in 1924, was totally remodeled with significant additions of modern equipment such as an x-ray and a heliotherapy department.

The nursing school closed in 1936 and was reopened in 1943.

Tne Lock Haven Hospital records begin just before the hospital was formally opened and extend to its closing in 1938 due to financial difficulties. The collection includes the minutes of the board meetings from 1896 to 1938, as well as a series of annual reports spanning select years from 1898 to 1913. There are two pamphlets published after the reopening of the hospital, including one brochure about the Lockhaven Hospital School of Nursing.

Gift of Al Speth, 1991.

University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers
This collection was processed with funds provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission as part of the Nursing History Processing and Cataloging Project.
Access Restrictions

This collection is unrestricted.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.

Collection Inventory

July 1919-October 9, 1922.
Box 1 Folder 1
November 14, 1922-March 8, 1926.
Box 1 Folder 2
April 12, 1926-June 10, 1929.
Box 1 Folder 3
July 8, 1929-December 14, 1931.
Box 1 Folder 4
January 11, 1932-October 22, 1934.
Box 1 Folder 5
November 12, 1934-June 13, 1938.
Box 1 Folder 6

1898-1900, 1903-1904.
Box 1 Folder 7
Box 1 Folder 8
1910, 1912-1913.
Box 1 Folder 9

School of Nursing Announcement, circa 1950.
Box 1 Folder 10
Convalescent Rehabilitation Unit, dedication ceremony, 1964.
Box 1 Folder 10

Notes on the preparatory work for the founding of the hospital, 1896; Charter and Bylaws, 1897; Decree of Court, 1897; Annual Reports, 1899-1914.
Box 2 Volume 1
Board of Managers Minutes, June 9, 1897-August 23, 1920.
Box 2 Volume 2

Print, Suggest