Held at: University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center [Contact Us]3401 Market Street, Suite 210, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Charity Hospital was first incorporated in 1861, with the goal of providing medical assistance to the industrial and manufacturing workers of Philadelphia. The founders hoped to locate the facility in either the north central part of the city. Charity Hospital's first location was in rented space on Buttonwood Street, east of Broad Street; sequently moving to 1832 Hamilton Street, until finally purchasing the location at 1731 Vine Street.
In 1920 the Board of Trustees petitioned the state to amend the Hospital's Charter by changing the name to Diagnostic Hospital. It was under the name of Diagnostic Hospital that it merged with the Graduate School of Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania in 1926.
The Diagnostic Hospital Records detail the administrative and financial aspects of Charity Hospital in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Of particular note are the Board of Trustees Minutes from 1861-1898, and the Treasurer's account books from 1870-1906.
The Records are organized by the name the Hospital was under the time of their creation (Charity or Diagnostic) and are arranged alphabetically by folder title.
- University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center
- Finding Aid Author
- Joseph-James Ahern
- Finding Aid Date
- December 2008
- Access Restrictions
Access to collections is granted in accordance with the Protocols for the University Archives and Records Centers.