School of Design. Office of the Dean Records. George Simpson Koyl Administration
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center [Contact Us]3401 Market Street, Suite 210, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
George Simpson Koyl succeeded Warren Powers Laird as Dean of the School of Fine Arts at the University of Pennsylvania in 1932. Koyl was born in Evanston, WY on February 8, 1885. He attended the University of Pennsylvania where he received a B.S. in Architecture in 1909 and an M.S. in Architecture in 1911. From 1911 to 1914 Koyl studied at the American Academy in Rome. Returning to the United States he took a teaching position at the Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh. Koyl served during World War I as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army in France in the construction division. Koyl worked in private practice in the offices of Cass Gilbert and McKim, Mead and White; and later opened an independent practice. Before coming to the University of Pennsylvania he taught at the New York University School of Fine arts. As Dean of the School of Fine Arts, Koyl was responsible for improvements to the curriculum in the Department of Architecture. This included adding programs in industrial architecture and courses in construction. The Department of Fine Arts twice won the University Medal of the Societe des Architectes Diplomes par le Gouvernment Francais, of New York during his tenure as dean. In recognition for his efforts Koyl received an honorary doctor of fine arts from Penn in 1944. During World War II Koyl gave lectures in industrial camouflage, and served as chairman of the Technical Committee for the Eastern Division in the State Council of Defense. In addition to his work as dean, Koyl was also active in outside professional activities – most notably the American Institute for Architects. In 1949 he was appointed a member of the Board of Managers of the House of Detention. Koyl retired as dean in 1950, and continued at the University of Pennsylvania as Professor of Architecture until 1955. George Simpson Koyl died on March 14, 1975.
The Records for George Simpson Koyl's tenure as dean of the School of Design reflect the administrative and academic activities of the school from about 1932 to 1951. This includes academic committees, correspondence with University administrators, activities of students and faculty, and World War II's impact on the School. In addition, there is some correspondence related to Koyl's own professional activities.
Researchers should also consult the Office of the Dean, Additional Correspondence Records (UPB 8.41) for additional material related to Koyl's tenure.
A collection of George Simpson Koyl's artwork is held by the University of Pennsylvania's Architectural Archives: George Simpson Koyl Collection (046).
The School of Design Records for Dean George Simpson Koyl are organized into three series: Administrative Files, School of Fine Arts, and Correspondence. The Administrative Files are organized into three sub-series: University Officers, Schools and Departments of the University, and Committees of the University. The School of Fine Arts Series is organized into five sub-series: General Files, Department of Architecture, Department of Fine Arts, Department of Landscape Architecture, and Department of Music. All series and sub-series are arranged alphabetically.
When received the records were organized by academic year and arranged by an inhouse filing code. The filing code has been retained with the titles of the folders. Also, when processing the collection it was occasionally necessary to divide one folder into two. In order to differentiate these files from files that originally had been divided when created: folders that were divided during processing have the number in parenthesis, e.g (1); where as folders that were divided in the office of origination have "No." in them, e.g. No. 1.
The School of Design, Office of the Dean Records for the George Simpson Koyl Administration were transferred to the University Archives from the School of Design.
- Barnes, Albert C. (Albert Coombs)
- Musser, Paul H. (Paul Howard)
- Gates, Thomas Sovereign
- Stassen, Harold E. (Harold Edward)
- McClelland, George William
- Penniman, Josiah Harmar
- DuBarry, William Hagan
- Nitzsche, George Erazmus
- Cret, Philippe
- Laird, Warren Powers
- Curtis Institute of Music
- Irvine Auditorium
- Morris Arboretum
- University of Pennsylvania. Morris Arboretum
- University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Secretary
- Mask and Wig Club
- American Academy in Rome
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Beaux-Arts Institute of Design
- American Institute of Architects
- American Institute of Architects. Philadelphia Chapter
- University of Pennsylvania. Department of Architecture
- University of Pennsylvania. Department of Music
- University of Pennsylvania. Department of Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning
- United States. Navy
- University of Pennsylvania. School of Education
- United States. Navy. Reserve Officers' Training Corps
- University of Pennsylvania. School of Design
- University of Pennsylvania. School of Design. Office of the Dean
- University of Pennsylvania. Towne Scientific School
- Wharton School
- University of Pennsylvania. University Museum
- Fisher Fine Arts Library
- United States. Army
- Moore School of Electrical Engineering
- Houston Hall
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Education and the war
- College students -- Physical training
- Choral music -- Pennsylvania
- Music -- Instruction and study
- World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- Schools
- Architectural design -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center
- Finding Aid Author
- Joseph-James Ahern
- Finding Aid Date
- February 2016
- Access Restrictions
Access to collections is granted in accordance with the Protocols for the University Archives and Records Center.