Wharton School. Office of the Dean Records
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center [Contact Us]3401 Market Street, Suite 210, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Wharton School of Business was founded in 1881 when Philadelphia industrialist Joseph Wharton donated $100,000 to the University of Pennsylvania to create a "School of Finance and Economy." From its early days, the Wharton School faculty was known for its advocacy of economic protectionism, and incorporating social sciences into the curriculum. Under the guidance of the early deans, Wharton included the developing fields of finance and management into the curriculum, and encouraged professional specialization among its faculty and students. Forty years into its operation, Wharton began its graduate curriculum when it began awarding MBAs in 1921.
Under the guidance of Dean C. Canby Balderston, Wharton received its own home in 1952 with the opening of Dietrich Hall. Additional changes came to Wharton in 1959 when curriculum reform was undertaken at the undergraduate level, and PhD and Entrepreneurial programs were added at the graduate level. As Wharton progressed through the twentieth century it adapted to the changing world of business by adding interdisciplinary programs, advancing international outreach efforts, and increasing the technological and global focus of the school.
Edmund J. James, 1883-1896 (Director)
Simon N. Patten, 1896-1912 (Director)
Roswell C. McCrea, 1912-1916
William C. McClellan, 1916-1919
Emory R. Johnson, 1919-1933
Joseph H. Willits, 1933-1939 (Director)
Alfred H. Williams, 1939-1941
C. Canby Balderston, 1942-1954
C. Arthur Kulp, 1955-1957
Willis J. Winn, 1958-1971
Donald C. Carroll, 1972-1983
Russell E. Palmer, 1983-1990
Thomas P. Gerrity, 1990-1999
Patrick T. Hacker, 1999-2007
Thomas S. Robertson, 2007-2014
The Wharton School Office of the Dean Records documents the administrative activities of the Wharton School, principally covering the administrations from Simon N. Patten through Thomas P. Gerrity. The Records contain material related to a wide spectrum of topics pertaining to the administrative and academic developments of the Wharton School. This includes curriculum development, faculty activities and recruitment, research, facilities, and special events (to name a few). The Early Administrations series covers the tenures of Simon N. Patten through C. Arthur Kulp, and contains material related to Wharton academic development in the early twentieth century, and activities related to the U.S. military during and after World War II (most notably industrial studies and issues of procurement). In keeping with the original order of the collections as received, it should be noted that a few files from previous administrations were received with files of the next administration – as such they were retained within that series when processed.
The Wharton School Office of the Dean Records are Organized by Administration, and then arranged alphabetically.
The Wharton School Office of the Dean Records have been transferred to the University Archives from the Wharton School.
- University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Joseph-James Ahern
- Finding Aid Date
- May 2015
- Access Restrictions
Access to collections is granted in accordance with the Protocols for the University Archives and Records Center.