Welsh Valley Preservation Society local history collection
Held at: Welsh Valley Preservation Society [Contact Us]850 Weikel Road, Lansdale, Pennsylvania, 19446
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Welsh Valley Preservation Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Towamencin Township is a suburb of Philadelphia located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The first European settlers, of German, Welsh, and Dutch descent, settled there around the turn of the 18th century, and were primarily engaged in farming. The township received its charter from William Penn's Commissioners in 1734. During the Revolutionary War, Towamencin played an important role in supporting the troops during and after the Battle of Germantown. General Washington established quarters and conducted military duties from the home of Frederick Wampole, and the Mennonite Meeting House was used a hospital and place of respite for soldiers retreating from the battle.
The land upon which the Morgan Log House now stands was first purchased by Griffith Jones in 1702. Jones sold the land, including a house he had built upon it, to Edward Morgan in 1708. Edward Morgan, a Welsh Quaker, was among the first settlers of the area, and was the grandfather of Daniel Boone. Subsequent owners included Edward's son John Morgan, Evan David, Schwenkfelder John Yeakel, Mennonite Yellis Cassel, and Frederick Bower. The house remaining on the property was condemned in 1967, but its historic significance was recognized later that year. Towamencin Township purchased the land and restored the house between 1970 and 1976.
Towamencin Township. "History." Accessed November 21, 2011. http://www.towamencin.org/history.htm.
Welsh Valley Preservation Society. "History of the Property and House." Accessed November 28, 2011. http://www.morganloghouse.org/history.php.
This collection contains various documents and photographs found by the Welsh Valley Preservation Society while restoring the Morgan Log House, as well as some donated items. Probably the highest-interest materials are several folders of deeds and property records, 1795-1929, for properties in and around Towamencin Township. There is also one deed in a folder of Schlosser family papers, 1845-1902, which also contains correspondence, a will, and a transcribed obituary of Adam Schlosser. Of interest to local genealogists will be 15 framed photographs of class graduations, many from the Specht School, circa 1910-1945. The collection also includes items relating directly to the Morgan Log House, including a marriage certificate for Morgan Morgan and Ann Roberts, 1774, and one folder of Morgan Log House photographs, most taken during the 1973 restoration, with some dated circa 1936.
The class photographs in this collection complement other class photographs in the Historical Society of Towamencin collection; many individuals in that collection's class photographs are identified.
Materials found in the Morgan Log House.
- Historic buildings--Conservation and restoration
- Historic preservation
- Morgan Log House
- Specht School
- Welsh Valley Preservation Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Welsh Valley Preservation Society for information about accessing this collection.