Dorothy H. Gould English teaching materials
Held at: Westtown School Archives [Contact Us]975 Westtown Road, West Chester, PA, 19382
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Westtown School Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Dorothy H. Gould was born in New London, Connecticut to Frederick and Mary Christina Gould in 1909. She earned a B.A. from Connecticut College in 1931 and a Master's degree from the University of Connecticut. Gould began teaching at Westtown School, a prominent Quaker boarding school in Chester County, Pa., in 1939, where she taught English and Physical Education until her retirement in 1974. An experienced Athletic Director, she also started a health class for 10th graders. She was involved in the work program which assigned students to rotating custodial, kitchen, and other duties, and which became significant during World War II; she also helped out with the choir and glee club. Gould was known as "Keeper of the Books" because she inventoried and tidied many of Westtown's book closets. After retirement Gould returned to Connecticut, where she passed away in 2002.
Letchworth, Rachel K. Westtown in Trust. Published by Westtown School, 1975.
"Dorothy Gould." Obituary. The Day, March 3, 2002. Page B7. Accessed October 7, 2013. http://tinyurl.com/q78zzvc.
This collection consists of English teaching materials, such as lecture notes, tests, lists of vocabulary and literary terms, newspaper clippings, scholarly articles about literary works and authors, and teaching techniques. There are several lists of books borrowed by students, and some meeting notes from the Library Committee. Some materials are specifically about teaching in a Christian context. There are also a few blank postcards. The majority of the collection is secondary-source.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Westtown School Archives directly for more information.
- Westtown School Archives
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Westtown School Archives
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Westtown School Archives for information about accessing this collection.