Held at: Upper Moreland Historical Association [Contact Us]117 Park Avenue, Willow Grove, PA, 19090
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Upper Moreland Historical Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
William H. Molloy (1890-1980) was a real estate agent and resident of Upper Moreland Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. He married Ethel Rush (1895-1970), with whom he had two children: Margaret (1917-1969) and William Jr. (b. 1925). Around 1944, Molloy purchased a 35-acre colonial-era farmstead in Upper Moreland that was formerly owned by the Boileau family. In the early 1960s, the Molloys sold off most of the land to a real estate developer. In 2002, the township of Upper Moreland bought the remainder of the property and turned it into Boileau Park.
Family tree located in collection.
Friends of the Nathaniel Boileau Farmstead, Inc. "Chronology of Ownership." Accessed July 9, 2012. http://www.friendsofboileau.org/ownership.htm.
The bulk of this collection is comprised of materials relating to William H. Molloy's work as a real estate agent, including indentures, deeds, appraisals and property assessments, wills, estate settlements, mortgages, real estate ads, and business-related correspondence. The materials relate to properties located in Bucks County (especially Buckingham, Warrington and Wrightstown), Montgomery County (especially Horsham and Upper Moreland), and Philadelphia.
The collection also includes a small amount of family papers, including: photographs of family members and houses, circa 1880-1970 (some identified and some not); greeting cards; family documents and certificates; and newspaper clippings. There are additional photographs of the Molloy family in the Upper Moreland Historical Associations subject files in the "People" file.
After Upper Moreland Township bought the Nathaniel Boileau farm land from Molloy, these papers were found in the house.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of a pilot project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Upper Moreland Historical Association directly for more information.
- Upper Moreland Historical Association
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Upper Moreland Historical Association for information about accessing this collection.