Independent Order of Odd Fellows Economy Lodge No. 397 minute books and account ledger
Held at: The Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley [Contact Us]301 West Main Street, Trappe, Pennsylvania, 19426
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the The Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"The Independent Order of Odd Fellows was founded on the North American Continent in Baltimore, Maryland, on April 26, 1819 when Thomas Wildey and four members of the Order from England instituted Washington Lodge No. 1. This lodge received its charter from Manchester Unity of Odd Fellows in England. At that time, the city was suffering both a yellow fever epidemic and mass unemployment so they dedicated the organization to "Visit the sick, relieve the distress, bury the dead and educate the orphans."
"Odd Fellowship became the 1st national fraternity to include both men and women when it adopted the beautiful Rebekah Degree on September 20, 1851. This degree is based on the teachings found in the Holy Bible, and was written by the Honorable Schuyler Colfax who was Vice President of the United States during the period 1868-1873. Odd Fellows and Rebekahs were also the first fraternal organization to establish homes for [its] senior members and for orphaned children.
"Today, Odd Fellows and Rebekahs continue to exist with nearly 10,000 lodges in approximately 26 countries consisting of men and women who united together for mutual aid and conviviality, providing social and practical support for each other and their communities in every way possible."
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge #397, Economy Lodge in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, was chartered in 1850. It closed circa 2004.
Quoted text from: Independent Order of Odd Fellows. "About Us." Accessed March 30, 2012. http://www.ioof.org/aboutus.html
This collection is comprised of 14 minute books, 1880-2004, and one account ledger, 1969-2000.
Gift when lodge became defunct and closed, circa 2004.
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Lodge No. 397 (Collegeville, Pa.).
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
- The Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley for information about accessing this collection.