Springfield Township Historical Society Wharton Sinkler Estate collection
Held at: Springfield Township Historical Society (Montgomery County, Pa.) [Contact Us]1432 Bethlehem Pike, Flourtown, PA , 19031
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Springfield Township Historical Society (Montgomery County, Pa.). Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Wharton Sinkler Estate, also known as the Guildford Estate but originally called Lane's End, is a mansion in Wyndmoor, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. George W. Elkins planned to build a mansion for his wife, Allethaire Ludlow Crummer, when they were married in 1916. He died in 1919 before much was accomplished, but the project was resumed after Crummer remarried to Samuel P. Rotan, then District Attorney of Philadelphia, the following year. Construction of the estate they called "Lane's End," designed by architect Robert Rodes McGoodwin, was completed in 1925.
After Rotan's death in 1930, Crummer spent less time in the house. George W. Elkins' daughter, Louise Elkins Sinkler and her husband Wharton Sinkler purchased the estate in 1945, re-christened it "Guildford," and lived there until his death in 1967. At this point, Sinkler donated the estate to the University of Pennsylvania. The university utilized the property as the Wharton Sinkler Conference Center until 1999, when they subdivided the property into smaller parcels and sold off the land. As of 2012, the mansion stands on 18 acres of land protected by the North American Land Conservancy.
Essay found in collection. "Guildford."
The bulk of this collection is records created when the University of Pennsylvania was in the process of subdividing and selling parcels from the Wharton Sinkler Conference Center. These records include records of repairs, site plans, appraisals, feasibility studies, correspondence with lawyers, and related documents, circa 1998-2002. The collection also includes: a photograph album of "Lane's End" mansion construction, circa 1925; newspaper clippings, circa 1975-2002; reproduction photographs of family members, construction, and interiors and exteriors of "Lane's End" and other mansions; and narrative histories of the family and property.
Materials collected by the Springfield Township Historical Society over time.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of a pilot project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Springfield Township Historical Society directly for more information.
- Springfield Township Historical Society (Montgomery County, Pa.)
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Springfield Township Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.