Wayne Public Safety Association records
Held at: Radnor Historical Society [Contact Us]113 West Beech Tree Lane, Wayne, PA, 19087
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Radnor Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"The Wayne Public Safety Association was incorporated in the State of Pennsylvania in 1891 as a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and attractive development of the South Wayne neighborhood [of Wayne, PA]. WPSA serves the many households south of Lancaster Pike, covering Radnor Township from Conestoga Road in the West to Radnor-Chester Road in the East. It does so by presenting a unified voice representing the aspirations and needs of the neighborhood through a wide range of activities and projects, which include monitoring the activities of the Board of Commissioners and Township Committees as they relate to South Wayne, liaising with other neighborhood organizations, providing financial support for neighborhood beautification efforts, supporting development of parks and bike/hiking trails in Radnor Township, [and other activities]."
The Association sustained the fire and police department service and expense until July, 1901, when it was taken over by the Township Commissioners. At one time the organization's meetings were held in the Radnor Fire House.
Quoted text from: Wayne Public Safety Association. "General Information." September 19, 2009. Accessed on March 25, 2014. http://waynepsa.wordpress.com/.
This collection contains administrative and financial records, as well as printed material, correspondence, and other items relating to the Wayne Public Safety Association.
Administrative material includes board minutes (1891-1969), meeting minutes (1890-1927, 1942-1987), the charter and by-laws (1892), and treasurer and other reports. Among the financial records are a cash book (1892-1899), account book (1920s), financial reports, cancelled checks, receipts, and tax materials. A membership list (1900), some stock certificates, and pamphlets are also present.
There is a large amount of legal documents and correspondence in the collection. The correspondence includes the original incoming documents and carbon letter copies of outgoing ones.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Radnor Historical Society directly for more information.
- Radnor Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Sarah Leu through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Radnor Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.