Held at: Radnor Historical Society [Contact Us]113 West Beech Tree Lane, Wayne, PA, 19087
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Radnor Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"The North Wayne Protective Association (NWPA) is a civic organization that has been in existence since 1885. [As of 2014] it is the oldest continually existing civic association in the nation. Through the years its responsibilities have evolved. Originally it was organized to address issues such as malarial influences, swamp drainage, porch foundations, macadamizing North Wayne Avenue, street lighting, and fire protection.
"In the first month of its existence the NPWA established [two annual events which have continued to the present] a Fourth of July celebration and an annual dinner, a combined social event and business meeting....Other activities developed over the years, reflecting the changing times and interests of the community. While the annual square dance and May basket contest no longer exist, the hayride, luminaries, carol sing, progressive dinner, Easter egg hunt, yard sale, and soap box derby provide neighbors a broad range of activities."
Quoted text from: North Wayne Protective Association. "About." Facebook.com profile. Accessed March 25, 2014. https://www.facebook.com/NorthWaynePA/info.
This collection contains financial and administrative records, photographs, correspondence, printed materials, and ephemera from the North Wayne Protective Association.
Administrative records include meeting minutes, committee minutes, and agendas. The original meeting minutes from 1905 to 2002 are present in the collection, while the minutes from the missing years, 1885 to 1950, are available on microfilm.
There is a large amount of financial records including bank statements (1945-1951) and insurance documents.
The charter from the group's official incorporation in 1890, charter booklets (1915), correspondence (1942-1971), newsletters, event flyers, and photographs are among the other materials in the collection.
Part of the collection is processed and organized by document type and date, while another part containing more recently accessioned materials is roughly grouped but not as well organized. It is expected that donations of records from the Association will be ongoing.
Ongoing accruals from North Wayne Protective Association.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Radnor Historical Society directly for more information.
- Radnor Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Sarah Leu through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Radnor Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.