John J. Dull papers
Held at: Philadelphia Sketch Club [Contact Us]235 South Camac Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19107
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Philadelphia Sketch Club. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"Born in Philadelphia, [John J. Dull (1859-1949)] studied under Thomas Eakins at the Pennsylvania Academy in 1879. He became a well-known watercolorist, as well as an architect and architectural design instructor. From 1885 to 1891, Dull worked for Wilson Bros. He started his own firm in 1893. He was joined by Robert E. Peterson and in 1898 by H. Crawford Coates, who was also a Sketch Club member. When Peterson withdrew in 1899, Dull & Coates continued until 1904. Dull designed several churches and began working with Charles W. Bolton, a notable church designer. They continued until 1916 when Dull returned to independent practice. Dull and Arthur Truscott began the Beaux-Arts style atelier architectural department at Drexel Institute. Dull served as an architectural design instructor there for many years. He was a member of the Sketch Club from 1895 until his death in 1949."
Quoted text from: Philadelphia Sketch Club. "Dull, John J. (1859-1949)." From "Thomas Eakins and his Fellow Artists at the Philadelphia Sketch Club" (Philadelphia: Philadelphia Sketch Club, 2001). Accessed June 19, 2012. http://www.sketchclub.org/PSC_ArchColl.html.
This collection consists of four items: a notebook of notes and drawings, apparently relating to architecture and mechanics; a scrapbook of clippings, photographs, and prints, mostly relating to Dull's art and achievements, circa 1922-1949; a Charles E. Dana medal from the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 1934; and a Philadelphia Sketch Club Outing medal.
Gift of Jennie L. Dull, circa 1999.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of a pilot project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Philadelphia Sketch Club directly for more information.
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Philadelphia Sketch Club for information about accessing this collection.