Third Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.) Records, 1771-1956
Held at: Presbyterian Historical Society [Contact Us]425 Lombard Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147-1516
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Presbyterian Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Third Presbyterian Church began in 1761 as an extension of First Presbyterian Church, located in a house at Second and South streets. In 1768, the congregation of Third Church moved into their new building at 4th and Pine streets. The church called George Duffield as their new pastor in 1771, without the concurrence of First Church. The resulting rift cemented the split between First and Third. The congregation still worships at 4th and Pine today although the building has been extensively renovated since colonial times. The church is popularly known as “Old Pine” while its official name is Third, Scots and Mariners Presbyterian Church, reflecting two of the mergers that comprise the continuing church.
Records include: charters and deeds; other legal and financial documents; correspondence; publications; records of the Trustees, Sunday school and missionary society; session minutes; pew rents; dismission and reception certificate stubs; and registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials.
More information can be found on the Presbyterian Historical Society's website.
Selected materials from this collection were digitized from 2018-2021 as part of the Philadelphia Congregations Early Records project. The Philadelphia Congregations Early Records project was made possible by a Digitizing Hidden Collections grant from CLIR, the Council on Library and Information Resources, funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Digtized materials are viewable on the PhiladelphiaCongregations.org website. Some items have been transcribed, and users are invited to contribute to the transcription effort. In addition, all of the digitized records are available in the ATLA (American Theological Library Association) Digital Library, and archival copies of the scanned images are preserved on the OPenn website at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries.
Links to Digital Resources for this Collection:
- Browse all digitized items from Third Presbyterian Church on the Philadelphia Congregations website.
- Browse all digitized items from Third Presbyterian Church on the ATLA Digital Library.
- Browse all archival images from Third Presbyterian Church on the OPenn website.
- Presbyterian Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by project staff.
- Finding Aid Date
- The digitization of materials was made possible by a Digitizing Hidden Special Collections and Archives grant from the Council on Library and Information Resources, funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research use.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may exist. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from this collection.