William H. Green glass plate negatives
Held at: Philadelphia History Museum [Contact Us]15 South 7th Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Philadelphia History Museum. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
William H. Green (1875-1959) was a clerk for the Philadelphia Water Department in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He married Emma E. Wick (1873-1924) in 1908 and they had two children: Irma C. and William H. In 1940, Irma C. married Lewis F. Gramlich. He had an interest in photography and took photos in the early 20th century of Northeast Philadelphia and other areas in and around Philadelphia.
This collection consists of approximately 110 glass plate negatives, half plates and quarter plates, taken by William Green that mostly depict images of Northeast Philadelphia such as Frankford and Bustleton but also include images from other areas of Philadelphia and nearby locations including Olney, Valley Forge, and elsewhere. The images largely depict buildings (inns, hotels, libraries, churches, hospitals, historic sites), bridges, railroad scenes, and nature scenes such as local creeks (especially the Wissahickon and Pennypack), but there are also images of parades, auto races, children and children's events, and streetscapes.
Modern prints were made from nearly all of the negatives circa 1990-1991 by J. Lobolito and are available on site. The prints are labeled with numbers corresponding to their glass plate counterparts. An item-level inventory is available on site.
Gift of Louis Gramlich, 1990 (accession 90.82)
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Philadelphia History Museum directly for more information.
- Philadelphia History Museum
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Sarah Leu through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Philadelphia History Museum for information about accessing this collection.