Held at: Perkasie Historical Society [Contact Us]513 W. Walnut St., Perkasie, Pennsylvania, 18944-1345
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Perkasie Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The American Legion Hartzell-Crouthamel Post, No. 280 (Perkasie, Pa.), founded by veterans shortly after World War I in 1919, was granted a charter on August 1, 1920. The two men whom the Post was named after, Calvin S. Hartzell and Earl S. Crouthamel, were both were killed in action during the war.
The Post was involved in various forms of community service, had a bugle and drum corps, and sponsored the local Boy Scout troop as well as numerous local sports teams.
The women's auxiliary of Hartzell-Crouthamel Post, No. 280 was organized in 1921. In October 1925 it joined the Montgomery-Bucks Bi-County Council, an organization consisting of all the units in the two counties. As well as assisting veterans in various ways, the Auxiliary was affiliated with the Needlework Guild and was a member of the Building and Loan Association.
The Post's headquarters was in the former Lehigh Valley Transit Trolley Station from 1962 until the Perkasie Historical Society purchased the building in 1990. The Post is still active as of 2013.
Hartzell-Crouthamel Post, No. 280 "Question Mark". "History of Hartzell-Crouthamel Post, No. 280." Circa 1929. Brochure found in collection.
This collection consists of various records of Hartzell-Crouthamel Post No. 280, American Legion, including: minute books, 1924-1969; account books; scrapbooks; photographs of the Post, circa 1930; framed photographs of sports teams sponsored by the Post, circa 1930s-1950s; framed certificates; and a framed charter with a list of charter members. Of special interest are membership records providing names, active dates of membership, and street addresses. One volume includes the branch of the military with which members were affiliated.
Also included are records of the Auxiliary to Hartzell-Crouthamel Post, No. 280, including: minutes, 1924-1960; a scrapbook, 1960-1962; check stubs; and junior auxiliary membership applications, 1970s-1991, which provide a good deal of biographical information.
When the Perkasie Historical Society purchased the former headquarters of Hartzell-Crouthamel Post No. 280, these records were left behind in the building.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Perkasie Historical Society directly for more information.
- American Legion. Auxiliary
- American Legion. Hartzell-Crouthamel Post No. 280 (Perkasie, Pa.)
- American Legion
- Perkasie Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Perkasie Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.