Cheltenham United Methodist Church records
Held at: Old York Road Historical Society [Contact Us]
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Old York Road Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The first Methodist church in Cheltenham, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania was built with funds donated by Thomas Rowland in 1845. In June 2008 the last service was held at Cheltenham United Methodist Church. Its congregation and assets were merged into Fox Chase United Methodist Church.
"Famous Names in Hx of Cheltenham" Historic La Mott, Pennsylvania. Accessed May 7, 2013. http://www.historic-lamott-pa.com/content/abriefhistoryofcheltenham/famousnames.cfm
"Merger." July 22, 2010. Accessed May 7, 2013. http://www.gbgm-umc.org/fcumc/merger.html
This collection consists of administrative and financial records of Cheltenham United Methodist Church, as well as materials from ladies auxiliary groups, the Sunday School, and other miscellaneous records.
The administrative records include: Corporation and Board meeting minutes, 1911-1930 (1 volume) and 1942-1959 (1 binder); and Business meeting minutes, 1942-1960 (2 volumes). The financial records include: Account books, 1909-1921 (2 volumes); Expense Daybook, 1915-1933; Receipt book of Leaders and Stewards, 1903-1912; and Building Fund account book, 1917-1920. Records from ladies auxiliary groups include: Young Women's Association minute book, 1914-1923; Ladies Circle minute book, 1921-1933; Cheltenham Queen Esther Circle accounts, 1920-1926, and minute book, 1928-1940; WCTW account books, 1915-1942 (2 volumes); Woman's Home Missionary Society account books, 1922-1938 (2 volumes). There are also Sabbath School record books: 1871-1889, undated (3 volumes); 1901-1925 ("Missionary Report of Classes" also including "Building Fund, 1913-1921); 1906-1921. In addition, various loose materials include commemorative and other service programs, historical information, and specifications and other ephemera relating to the new church building, 1914-1915.
Gift of Elizabeth Adams, 2011; gift of Jim McCann, 2014
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Old York Road Historical Society directly for more information.
- Old York Road Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society.
- This preliminary finding aid was created by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Old York Road Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.