Rowland Funeral Home records
Held at: Old York Road Historical Society [Contact Us]
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Old York Road Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Francis Marion Rowland received an undertaking license in 1895, although he apparently was providing coffins and carriage services as early as 1891. The business continued at various locations in North Philadelphia, with T. Mifflin Rowland joining his father in 1915. When T. Mifflin Rowland died in 1944, Gladys B. Rowland carried on under a "widow’s license" until their son Baron, only 15 at the time of his father’s death, obtained his license in 1950. The Rowland Funeral home moved to Abington in 1961 where it was renamed Baron Rowland Funeral Home, Inc., in 1980. It was owned and operated by Baron and his wife Barbara S. Rowland until 2002 when it was sold to Joseph Gritz.
This collection consists primarily of account books of Rowland Funeral Home, 1893, 1896-1962. They document the costs of burials and other undertaking services and include, variously, name of the deceased, address, dates of death and birth (or age at time of death), parents names, and cemetery. Cause of death and occupation are at times indicated. Also included are accounts with other vendors.
There is a hearse account book, 1933-1936, and miscellaneous material among which are papers relating to the purchase and renovations to the Abington building, clippings, and advertising calendars, and other ephemera. Small artifacts include T. Mifflin Rowland fans, Baron Rowland pens, pencils, and smelling salts.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR), using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society. The HCI-PSAR project was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was done in the HCI-PSAR project.
Photographs of facilities used in advertising brochures and of Baron Rowland with Pennsylvania Funeral Directors Association removed to Photograph Collection.
- Old York Road Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society.
- This preliminary finding aid was created by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Old York Road Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.