Held at: Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area [Contact Us]204 Church St., Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, 19460
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Woman's Club of Phoenixville, one of the two oldest women's clubs in the state, was organized in 1884, granted state federation in 1897, and incorporated into the General Federation of Women's Clubs in 1901. Originally named the Ladies Library Society and later the Reading Circle, its goal was "to prevent the formation of intellectual rust." Members had to be married and dues were $2.50. In 1889, the Reading Circle was dissolved and the Woman's Club was organized. The club's mission was enhanced and it's stated object was "to develop civic, educational, and social interests among its members; to advance the welfare of the community; and to promote the work and progress of the Pennsylvania Federation of Women's Clubs." Membership in the club became very robust, allowing for the creation of several subsections, including the Education Department and the Garden Division. The Junior Woman's Club of Phoenixville was organized in 1938 and became federated in 1939.
Since its organization, the Woman's Club of Phoenixville has raised money for numerous projects, including building funds for Phoenixville Hospital. It also sponsored the first night school for immigrants in the area around 1920. As of 2013, the club continues its efforts to help organizations in the community as well as to provide study, service, and social activities for its members. Each year, it gives scholarship gifts to three high school graduates at the high school.
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania Area InterService Club. "Woman's Club of Phoenixville."Accessed September 24, 2013. http://www.interserviceclub.org/womans%20club.htm
This collection consists of eight scrapbooks, 1958-1978; about one-half dozen minute books, 1959-2010; and annual reports/membership directories, 1903-circa 2000 (incomplete). Several of the scrapbooks were created by the Junior Woman's Club, the Garden Class of the Woman's Club, and the Club's Education Department. There are also two printed histories (1986 and 1994), a certificate given by the Pennsylvania Federation of Women's Clubs (1960), by-laws booklets, and a few other materials from the Club.
Most of collection gift of Janet Ayres, 2012 (accession number 2012.111).
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area directly for more information.
- Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area for information about accessing this collection.