Historical Society of Fort Washington photograph and film collection
Held at: Historical Society of Fort Washington [Contact Us]Clifton House, 473 Bethlehem Pike, Fort Washington, PA, 19034-2313
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Fort Washington. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Fort Washington, Pennsylvania (now part of Upper Dublin Township and Whitemarsh Township) was settled in the 18th century by German immigrants. During the Revolutionary War this area became famous as the encampment for George Washington and the Continental Army after the Battle of Germantown and prior to the march to Valley Forge in 1777. The battle of Whitemarsh which was also fought in 1777.
This collection contains photographs and film depicting people and places in the vicinity of Fort Washington, Pennsylvania. There are unidentified family albums, circa 1885-1905; photographs from a Historic Resources Survey of Upper Dublin, 2002; and an unidentified 35mm film. Some photographs, including several cased photos/daguerreotypes, are on display throughout the museum.
Materials collected by the Historical Society of Fort Washington.
- Historical Society of Fort Washington
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Fort Washington for information about accessing this collection.