Held at: Historic Langhorne Association [Contact Us]160 W. Maple Ave., Langhorne, PA, 19047
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historic Langhorne Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Middletown Township was formally established in 1692 when Bucks County, Pennsylvania was divided into five townships: Falls, Salem (now Bensalem), Makefield (now Upper and Lower Makefield), Buckingham (now Bristol Borough and Bristol Township), and Middletown. Middletown was so called because it was in the middle of the five townships.
The development of Middletown, primarily a farming community until the end of the 19th century, was strongly influenced by transportation routes. The largest urban center in the Township during the 18th century was Attleboro (later renamed Langhorne) because of its convenient location along the road between Trenton and Philadelphia. Langhorne Terrace and Parkland, because of their proximity to Neshaminy Creek, were popular vacation destinations and the site of large communities of summer homes. With the introduction of a train line through the area in the late 19th century, residential development quickly accelerated. The introduction of automobiles in the 20th century made Middletown still more accessible, and an explosion in housing occured in the late 1950s when William Levitt built Levittown.
Approximately 120 historically significant sites are located in Middletown Township, including Beechwood Manor (on the Woods Schools property), the Wistar House (on New Falls Road), and the Wildman House (on Langhorne-Yardley Road). Wildman House was a safe-haven along the Underground Railroad for enslaved persons escaping North to freedom in pre-Civil War times.
Middletown Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. "History and Significant Facts." Accessed December 14, 2012. http://www.middletowntwpbucks.org/information/history.aspx
This collection consists of various materials relating to the assessment of real estate taxes in Middletown Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. It includes: note cards, organized alphabetically by name of tax assessment; blue prints of surveys by Edward Pickering, 1920-1925; a written list of taxable inhabitants, 1931; certificates of assessment, 1945 and 1951; a Boeckh's appraisal manual inscribed by Walter S. Miller, 1936; and assessment notebooks, circa 1951.
Gift of Roseann Johnson.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historic Langhorne Association directly for more information.
- Historic Langhorne Association
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historic Langhorne Association for information about accessing this collection.