Held at: Historic Langhorne Association [Contact Us]160 W. Maple Ave., Langhorne, PA, 19047
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historic Langhorne Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, the borough of Langhorne is a small town whose name is used broadly to describe the majority of surrounding Middletown Township. The center of town is located at the intersection of two prominent roads, Maple and Bellevue Avenues. Once Lenni-Lenape paths, these roads run between Bristol and Durham, Pennsylvania, and between Philadelphia and Trenton, New Jersey.
Settled by Quakers beginning in 1680, the area grew as an important transportation center between Trenton and Philadelphia, becoming the stagecoach transportation hub of Bucks County. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the town, which served as a stop along the rail line, became a popular summer vacation destination for wealthy Philadelphians who constructed large homes and businesses.
Langhorne was known as Attleborough until 1876, when it was incorporated and named for Jeremiah Langhorne, an early resident of the area and former Chief Justice of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
This collection consists of binders and file folders with information on all of the homes in the Borough of Langhorne, Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
The binders were created by the Historic Langhorne Association in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when association members executed deed searches in Doylestown. There is a fact sheet with a chronology and often a photograph for each house (taken circa 1975-1985). The Association has added to these binders over time, including for-sale advertisements. The binders are arranged by street. Each page has been scanned and is text-searchable on a computer available on-site.
The file folders include more information gathered on some of these homes, especially the older properties that received historic building plaques from the Historic Langhorne Association. File folders include photocopies of newspaper articles, narrative histories, and some photographs (including negative strips). The following is a list of the houses with additional information, and the date the house was built:
402 N. Bellevue Avenue - 1771
245 W. Maple Avenue - 1779
119 W. Maple Avenue - 1788
240 N. Green Street - 1788
212 Bridgetown Pike (Edgemont) - 1820
134 N. Bellevue Avenue - 1829
1743 Janey Terrace - 1837
221 N. Bellevue Avenue - 1840
217 W. Maple Avenue - 1852
320 W. Richardson Avenue - 1852
127 N. Bellevue Avenue -1856(R)
200 S. Bellevue Avenue -1871
148 W. Marshall Avenue -1881
1033 S. Bellevue Avenue - 1883
115 Hill Avenue - 1885
122 E. Marshall Avenue -1887
126 E. Marshall Avenue -1889
149 W. Richardson Avenue -1889
311 N. Bellevue Avenue -1889
161 W. Maple Avenue -1890
131 N. Pine Street -1891
378 S. Bellevue Avenue -1892
130 W. Richardson Avenue -1895
118 National Avenue -1896
124 W. Maple Avenue -1900
146 W. Richardson Avenue -1903
135 Summit Avenue -1909
325 Hulmeville Avenue - 1921
416 N. Bellevue Avenue -1924
1005 S. Bellevue Avenue -1924
1017 S. Bellevue Avenue -1924
325 Station Avenue -1954
425 W. Richardson Avenue -1972
403 Station Avenue -1925
137 Winchester Avenue -1921
E. Maple Avenue -The Sealey-Colby House
Beechwood -E. Maple Avenue
Bracegirdle House -N. Pine St. (Moved Sept. 23, 1997)
1242 Brownsville Road
Cipp Brown House -243 Flowers Avenue
The Early History of 215 E. Maple Avenue
Gilbert Hicks House
Jenks Hall -Middletown Township
Langhorne Manor -Langhorne Gardens Nursing Home
Langhorne-Yardley Road at Bridgetown Pike
Middletown Friends Meeting
947 Old Lincoln Highway
2147-2149 Old Lincoln Highway
Orthodox Meeting House (Post Property) 209 N. Bellevue Avenue
Joseph Richardson House
Richardson House photos
Jonathan K. Stackhouse- 139 W. Maple Avenue
Walker House- 109 W. Maple Avenue
A Reading: "Old Houses" -by J. Leon Wells
Materials collected by the Historic Langhorne Association over time.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historic Langhorne Association directly for more information.
- Historic Langhorne Association
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historic Langhorne Association for information about accessing this collection.